We Help People Through Stressful Times Every Day

Photo by M. Martinez

Child Custody Jurisdiction

If you have child custody orders from another state and relocate to Oregon, it is important to consult with a family law attorney who is experienced in child custody jurisdictional matters. I am Shelley L. Fuller, a family law attorney in Beaverton, Oregon. I am well-versed in the state and federal laws governing child custody jurisdiction and can provide you with the knowledgeable guidance you need for this critical legal matter.

Call 503-626-1808 to arrange a consultation with an experienced Beaverton child custody lawyer.

The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction And Enforcement Act (UCCJEA)

The UCCJEA is a federal law that vests jurisdiction with the child's state of residence, which is defined as the state where the child has maintained residence for six consecutive months. If, for instance, a child lives in Oregon for at least six months, Oregon would have jurisdiction to hear matters regarding custody and parenting time with this child.

If you have recently moved to Oregon and are considering commencing a child custody proceeding, it may be in your best interests to wait until the child has lived here six months so that your legal matters will be handled where you live, so long as there is no emergency.

Jurisdiction becomes more complicated when a parent moves to Oregon from another state that has already made a custody determination regarding the child. In such case, the original state may retain jurisdiction – the ability to make orders about the child – even if the child now lives in Oregon. It is therefore important to consult with an attorney about where you should be filing for modification of the other state’s orders and how you would go about doing that.

As a family law attorney with more than 18 years of experience, I am prepared to handle complex child custody matters involving relocations and multi-jurisdiction proceedings. I am committed to asserting my clients' rights while protecting the best interests of the children involved.

Contact An Experienced Beaverton Attorney

If you need legal guidance for a child custody matter in Oregon, contact my Oregon family law firm today or call my office at 503-626-1808 to schedule a consultation with an experienced Beaverton interstate custody lawyer.

Copyright © Shelley L. Fuller, P.C. | Contact | Site Map | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Website by Dan Gilroy Design