We Help People Through Stressful Times Every Day

Photo by M. Martinez

Domestic Violence/Restraining Orders & Stalking Orders

Restraining Orders

Generally, under the terms of Oregon's Family Abuse Prevention Act (FAPA), you can obtain a Family Abuse Restraining Order against your spouse or partner if you believe there is a genuine physical danger to you or to your children. This is something that should not be taken lightly and should be discussed with us in advance.

I routinely assist clients throughout Oregon in protecting themselves and their children by establishing restraining orders to keep abusive family members at a safe distance.

If you or your child is in an unsafe situation, I can help. Contact my office as soon as possible to immediately begin the process of filing for a restraining order and protecting yourself. Call me at 866-951-4133.

How To Apply For A Restraining Order

FAPA procedures are designed to be easily accessible to a party who is unrepresented by an attorney. Your local county courthouse provides free of charge instructions that explain the requirements, how to apply, and the relief that you are allowed under a FAPA restraining order.


The family and household members who are eligible for relief under FAPA include:

  1. Spouses
  2. Former spouses
  3. Adults related by blood, marriage or adoption
  4. Persons who are cohabiting now or who have cohabited
  5. Persons who have been involved in a sexually intimate relationship with each other within the preceding two years
  6. Unmarried parents of a minor child

Portland Restraining Order Lawyer

If you are requesting a FAPA restraining order, you must show that:

  1. You have been the victim of an incident of abuse within the preceding 180 days.
  2. You are in imminent danger of further abuse.
  3. The party against whom the restraining order is sought presents a credible threat to your physical safety or the safety of your minor child.


If the court determines that you are entitled to a restraining order, possible relief includes:

  1. An award of temporary custody and parenting time
  2. Ouster of the respondent from the family home (whether or not it is jointly owned)
  3. An order requiring the respondent be restrained from entering or attempting to enter a reasonable area surrounding the residence
  4. An order requiring an officer to accompany the party who is leaving your home to assist in the removal of essential personal effects
  5. An order restraining the respondent from intimidating, molesting, interfering with, or menacing you or your child
  6. A no-contact provision
  7. Emergency monetary relief

Relief ordered by the court lasts for one year from the date of issuance. FAPA orders may be renewed after the date of issue for an unlimited number of years so long as a petitioner is able to show to a court that the order is still warranted.

Contesting The Issuance Of A FAPA order

Once a person who has had a restraining order filed against him or her (called the "respondent") is served, he or she has 30 days in which to determine whether to contest the matter and if so, file a request for hearing with the court. Respondents may contest the entire order or only portions of it such as an award of temporary custody of minor children and designated parenting time.

If a respondent requests a hearing to contest the restraining order, the court typically holds a hearing within 21 days from the receipt of that request. In cases where temporary custody of minor children has been granted in the order, a hearing will be held within five days from the date of the request.

Respondents should be aware that prohibitions against the possession of firearms may occur if a request for hearing is filed with the court and the restraining order is upheld. Persons who are considering filing a request for hearing should consult with an attorney prior to filing the request if at all possible.

Copyright © Shelley L. Fuller, P.C. | Contact | Site Map | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Website by Dan Gilroy Design