We Help People Through Stressful Times Every Day

Photo by M. Martinez

Grandparents, Stepparents & Psychological Parents Rights

An increasing number of people are raising children who are not their biological children, whether they are step-parents, psychological parents or grandparents. They have strong bonds with these children before a divorce, separation or break up of an unmarried couple, and seek to maintain that connection for the sake of the children's well-being after the break up.

Portland Parental Rights Attorney

While it is difficult to obtain custody rights as a non-biological parent, it is happening more and more often, as family law continues to evolve to accommodate the changing nature of what it means to be a family in the twenty-first century.

Your Family Matters. Lawyer With Heart and Legal Muscle to Make a Difference. Call 503-626-1808 or Email the firm.

Answers and Advocacy Here Now

Do you have questions and concerns about your rights to custody or visitation with a child? I am attorney Shelley L. Fuller, and I am committed to representing grandparents and non-biological parents who are seeking to obtain custodial or visitation rights to a child.

Custodial Rights to Step-Children and Grandchildren

In the process of a divorce or other separation, questions are often raised about visitation, guardianship, and custodial rights with respect to step-children, psychological children or grandchildren.

  • Step-Parent Rights: What happens when a father who has one biological son with the woman he is divorcing and one stepson he has raised from infancy wants to keep the boys together? What happens if a step-father raises a child for many years and the relationship with the mother is coming to an end but the step-father wishes to continue to have contact with the child?
  • Psychological Parent Custody: What happens when a non-biological parent has been the primary caregiver of the child in question for many years, and believes that maintaining primary custody is in the child's best interests? What happens when a biological parent leaves his or her child in the care of another person for an extended period of time and shows up to suddenly take the child away?
  • Grandparent Custody and Visitation: What happens when a parent is unable to care for his or her children and it is necessary for the grandparents to step in and obtain guardianship rights? What happens when a parent dies and the grandparents are afraid of not seeing their grandchildren now that their own child has passed away and the relationship is strained with the remaining parent?

Knowledgeable in Custody Matters and Probate Guardianship Matters

I have helped clients obtain custody rights when the biological parent is not fit to parent or when it is in the best interests of the child to be placed in the custody of another adult. I know how to work in both family court and probate court to help clients obtain custody or guardianship of the children they love.

Your Consultation Is Waiting: 503-626-1808

Copyright © Shelley L. Fuller, P.C. | Contact | Site Map | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Website by Dan Gilroy Design