We Help People Through Stressful Times Every Day

Photo by M. Martinez

Child Relocation Attorney

In Oregon, a custodial parent may not move more than 60 miles away without giving the other parent reasonable notice of the move. If you are a custodial parent seeking to move with your child, or a noncustodial parent who is concerned about the effect a move will have on your visitation rights, it is important to consult with an experienced child custody lawyer as soon as possible.

I am Shelley Fuller, a family law attorney serving clients in Beaverton and throughout surrounding Oregon communities. I am a strong advocate for parents in child custody disputes involving relocations and other contentious issues. I apply a proactive, detail-oriented approach to law to help my clients achieve their legal goals while protecting the best interests of their child(ren).

Call 503-626-1808 to arrange a consultation with an experienced Beaverton child relocation lawyer.

Relocations For Custodial Parents

The overriding concern in relocation cases is protecting the best interests of the child. The courts must be convinced that a move will benefit the child, regardless whether or not it benefits the custodial parent who wishes to move. This is contrary to many other states that allow custodial parents to move so long as they have legal custody of the child.

If you are a custodial parent seeking to move away with your child, it is important to plan ahead. If the child's other parent does not consent to the move, you can petition the court for permission to relocate and modification of the other parent’s parenting time to reflect a long distance or modified parenting time plan.

Oregon law favors situations in which children maintain a meaningful relationship with both parents. As a custodial parent wishing to move, you must demonstrate why the benefits of the move outweigh the diminished relationship the child will have with his or her other parent, or show how the move will not impact the relationship to a noticeable degree.

Relocations For Noncustodial Parents

As a noncustodial parent, you have the right to contest a relocation request from the other parent and demonstrate to the court why the move is not in the child's best interests. Parents in this situation often must consider whether they wish to just prevent to the move or wish to now seek a change in custody. While a custodial parent’s decision to relocate is not an automatic change in circumstance that triggers a change in custody, it can be considered such depending on the circumstances of the case. Consulting an experience family law attorney to determine your options is therefore important.

Noncustodial parents must be proactive in preventing relocations from happening. The more engaged a parent is in the child's life, the less likely courts are to allow a relocation that will take that child far away from him or her. If you are concerned about a potential relocation, it is important to opt into every bit of parenting time you can and talk to an attorney as soon as possible.

Contact My Law Firm

Whether you are seeking to move or trying to stop a relocation, I am prepared to protect your rights. To schedule a consultation, contact my law firm online or call us at 503-626-1808.

This website is designed to provide the reader with information about custodial parent relocation and other family law issues in Oregon. It should not be used as a substitute for advice given by an attorney to a client during an office consultation.

Copyright © Shelley L. Fuller, P.C. | Contact | Site Map | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Website by Dan Gilroy Design